Conditions that have been reported to respond well to Bowen
- Anxiety and stress-related conditions
- Back pain, sciatica and spinal problems
- Blood pressure
- Children (Bedwetting, ADD, ADHD, Autistic spectrum, Dyslexia & Dyspraxia)
- Chronic Fatigue syndrome, Post-viral fatigue
- Digestive and bowel problems (e.g. Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Earache and tinnitus
- Fibromyalgia and ME
- General muscular aches and stiffness
- Headaches & migraine
- Hormonal imbalances
- Joint problems (tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, knee and ankle problems)
- Lymphatic drainage
- Newborn baby problems (e.g. Colic, feeding problems, sleep-related conditions)
- Pelvic tilt, uneven leg length and groin pain
- Post dental trauma, TMJ and jaw problems
- Pregnancy and Post-Partum
- Pre-surgery preparation
- Post-operative recovery
- Respiratory problems (Asthma, Bronchitis, Hayfever)
- Repetitive strain injury and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Sports injuries
- Women’s problems (e.g. Heavy or painful periods, infertility, fibroids)
Bowen during Pregnancy
As a pregnancy proceeds, the woman’s posture changes and puts strain on certain muscles and joints creating some new aches and pains and exacerbating pre-existing ones. Bowen can offer great relief from ensuing back ache and sciatica, as well as tension in the neck and shoulders by keeping the pelvis correctly aligned and preparing it for childbirth. By the mother’s body being well balanced,it can also be beneficial to the baby in utero by helping to maintain adequate blood flow to the uterus and keeping the neural pathways clear. The general well-being afforded by Bowen may also help with improved sleep and better digestion.
All newborns are offered a free Bowen treatment as soon after birth as is feasible to help them recover from the trauma of birth and to bring their little bodies into balance.
Bowen for Asthma
Tom Bowen’s wife suffered from asthma and was hospitalised many times before he developed a respiratory procedure. By using his technique of gentle “moves” in specific places on the body he was able to help her to the extent that she was never hospitalised again.
Whatever the level of asthma, or similar respiratory problems, Bowen often seems to reduce the level of attack very quickly, and effectively. As Bowen is very gentle and non-invasive, there is no risk in using it with these conditions.
Treatment tends to produce results very quickly which last. Very often just a very few sessions may change the situation for the sufferer.
As with any allergy, avoiding contact with the allergen is an essential part of the treatment. Bowen very often achieves the release of tightness in the chest which aids both asthmatics and other respiratory sufferers.
The Bowen Asthma Emergency Procedure (Bowen Release Move) is taught to all Bowen practitioners. It is quick to administer when the Diaphragm goes into spasm. Most, if not all, of asthma cases may also use this move to replace their puffers. If it does not work, it is perfectly alright to use the reliever spray.